Monday, July 21, 2014

Those Sweet Little Patty Pans PLUS A Patty Cake Recipe Card!

"It is all ready to put into the oven. Such lovely pie-crust; 
and I put in a little tin patty-pan to hold up the crust; 
and I made a hole in the middle with a fork to let 
out the steam - Oh I do wish I could eat my own pie,
 instead of a pie made of mouse!"
 The Tale of the Pie and The Patty Pan by Beatrix Potter


In Miss Potter's amusing tale a little dog called "Duchess" inserts a small patty pan inside a large meat pie to "hold up the crust".  But what exactly are patty pans? 

sparrowsalvage on Etsy
Image courtesy of SparrowSalvage's Etsy Shop

Well, it appears that patty pans, also called petty pans and queen cake tins, are darling little molds used to make such delicacies as madelines, teacakes, petit fours and meat pies. They can also be made from glass or china, but more often they are made from tin. 

Image courtesy of Johnnys Selected Seeds

Thus we can now see how the sweet little patty pan squash came by its name! And today I have a delightfully yummy recipe for a Patty Cake that I'm happy to share. My favorite way to use patty pan squash!

Patty Cake - so yummy! Click to enlarge.
I found my little scallop-edged patty pan mold on the cheap at a Big Lots or someplace like that, can't quite remember, but I know it wasn't from an expensive specialty shop.


Image size is 4 x 10 inches. Click to enlarge/download.

Very few ingredients and very easy to make! Just click the recipe image and download to your computer. I recommend printing on cardstock using landscape setting.

New porcelain creations! (click to enlarge)

I even painted a ceramic platter with chipmunk and bunny playing Pat-A-Cake. Looks like some birds are about to swoop down for some of that Patty Cake!

New veggies! (click to enlarge)

And remember my EARLIER POST which included a sneak peak of my bisqued veggies? Well I finally glazed them and they came out of the kiln this morning looking just yummy!!! The pieces with the swirl designs are actually a sliced Tri-Color Beet and I blogged about them HERE. I grew them one year and that post also has a link to a great recipe for BEETS WITH ORANGE JUICE.

Listing all of the above ceramics and more tomorrow in my Etsy shop!

I hope you enjoy my recipe - won't you please share your favorite patty pan squash recipes?

14 comments:

Mary Ann Potter said...

Your porcelain pieces are absolutely beautiful! Cute patty pans. I'm going to do a little Amazon/Etsy/Ebay search today! Have a blessedly creative and creatively blessed day!

Betty said...

I have seen pans like that before, but did not know what they were called. Thanks for the recipe. Love the pieces you painted.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Oh my gosh Cindy, your pieces are all wonderful! They make me feel happy. Your little veggies are adorable!

Your recipe sounds delicious and the cake looks yummy too.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Linda at Etched In Time said...

I see so many that I want! Hopefully this time I can get something in my cart before it is all gone. :)

CYNTHIA CRANE said...

Golly, thank's y'all for such sweet comments! Rainey - the bluebird mug sold today! And Ms. Potter how did you make out in your hunt for patty pans today? I didn't see many when I was researching for this post.

Penelope said...

Thank you so much for including me here, what a great little history lesson! Patty pans are a part of my English/Australian childhood so it never occurred to me that people wouldn't know what they were! It's amazing how different cultures can be even in the Western world.

And now I better go see if I have any more! :)

Mosaic Magpie said...

Another enjoyable visit I have had. The ceramic work is awesome and I love those vegetables!
xo,
Deb

Vicki Boster said...

Cynthia-- your newest treasures are so lovely-- who could resist those beautiful veggies!!!

Love the squash recipe-- I'm so tempted to give it a try:)
Love those cute little squashes-- would like to grow some of those!

Love
Vicki

Unknown said...

Cynthia, thank you for visiting my blog for the studio tour and for your sweet comments. I love your artwork too, very much like Susan Wheeler of Holly Pond Hill. She has always been one of my favorites. I will join your blog so I can keep up with what you are doing. Thanks again. (I am Janet from Graceful Rose),

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Great little pans and I love your recipe for making cake out of patty pan squash. Love your sweet little ceramics...First time here. Your blog looks sweet.....Linda, blog designer, etc.

Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In The Woods said...

So sweet! I love everything you create!
Hugs,
Lin

My Garden Diaries said...

You are beyond talented! Those new ceramic pieces that you created are gorgeous! Just gorgeous!!! Wishing you an outstanding weekend of creating! Nicole xo

C@4homesoup said...

That cake looks scrumptious, but so do your ceramic veggies. Very cute! Love the little peas in a pod.

C, 4homesoup

Theresa said...

Your post was one of the features on the site today! Drop by to see it and grab a feature button if you have a spot for it. Feel free to share a post this week too! Theresa @DearCreatives