Thursday, August 21, 2014

Visitors

 "Today, explore ways to see your world differently. 
Let your eyes drink in the beauty that surrounds you."
Simple Abundance, A Daybook of Comfort and Joy
by Sarah Ban Breathnach


I'm learning to embrace my new home and to more fully appreciate the beautiful and lush landscape here, so very different from my previous home in a large city.

A peachy site indeed!
Its taken me awhile to adjust to the change, but when I arise in the early morning to discover I have a visitor like this sweet little fawn, I am filled with delight and gratitude. 


Aww, can't reach the peaches, but this grass will do.
She had left the safety of her mama and daddy over by the treeline to venture closer to my backdoor where she found a little patch of sweet green grass that the mower had missed.


Mama, daddy and their wee little one.
Soon though, she was scurrying back to them again. I know that next year I will have my little kitchen garden installed near here and maybe then I won't be so "delighted" to see these lovely creatures. But something tells me I would miss them if they weren't visiting me. I must find a way to keep us both happy.


Wendy the Whistle Pig
This little guy,  and his parents, and siblings, and all of his aunts, uncles, cousins and ALL of their friends, live in burrows among the trees at the back of my property. Maintaining a vegetable garden here will indeed be a challenge.

I just learned from a neighbor that these groundhogs are also called "whistle pigs", and I discovered why. They make a loud whistle sound when they are startled, in order to warn all the other whistle pigs in their community.



Big Daddy Bunny
And, of course, bunnies.....lots of bunnies. Big ones, little ones, even itty bitty ones. I can't get my dog to run after a stick or a ball, but she'll chase bunnies. Doesn't even come close to catching them though. I love seeing their little white tails bounce as they go leaping across the lawn.



Listed recently in my Etsy shop!
And, oh! The inspiration I get from all of these wonderful creatures!


I had a very special 2-legged visitor recently, too.

My 2 favorite men in my life: My son Jared and his daddy, Papa Crane.
Our only son Jared came to stay for a few days before classes start back up again soon. He's in grad school for art in NYC, and we miss him a lot. We had a great time and ate lots of good home-cooked food. Jared is quite an accomplished cook as he worked for many years in fancy restaurants. He's certainly taught us a thing or two!

It is hard when you leave a home where you've been for a long, long time. And when your children live far away. But we cherish the time we do have with them, and all of our visitors!

I also cherish all YOU! The many new friends I've made in the blogging community this past year. You help fill my days and provide me a wonderful outlet while in my new home striving to establish friendships here.

I am so very grateful to each and every one of you!



NEXT POST - more of the "skinny" on my recent kitchen renovation!


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

such beautiful photos, it always takes time to adjust, my children live away from me and I think we must think quality over quantity when it comes to time spend with them now, best wishes,

Vicki Boster said...

Cynthia- it's so wonderful to live near the woods-- we love our dear friends too-- just try to keep them away from our flowers.

Your creations are so beautiful-- I'm in love with them all!!
Xoxo
Vicki

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What wonderful photos! I've read and seen articles about fencing your vegetable garden in to keep out unwanted nibblers. Maybe that will work for you.

You live in such a beautiful area. It is so lush and peaceful.

Glad you had some quality time with your son.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Betty said...

Our last house was near the woods and we saw deer families like that too. I really miss that, but hopefully our next house will have woods near it too. Looks like someone is having some fun cooking.

Marye said...

Cynthia ,

I am enjoying your stories. Our modest garden has kept our whistlepigs fed! Your photos are enchanting as I know those critters are inspiring your art! Simply beautiful!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Whistlepigs is a new one for me. Enjoy every minute of having your #1 Son home. I enjoyed the photos.
Deb

My Garden Diaries said...

SO glad you were able to see your son!!! I have no doubt that he is an incredible artist with you as his mom!!! And how beautiful is that fawn! Such fantastic photos friend! Wishing you a wonderful weekend lady!!!! Nicole xoxo

Elderberry-Rob said...

You live in a beautiful place, the deer look so pretty - we have some roe deer in the woods here but rarely see them, they are very timid, lucky you that yours venture so close. I hope you find a way to grow your garden without it being eaten by the locals! Betty

Unknown said...

I am so totally jealous of your new country home. Those critters are so beautiful and to see them as you sip you morning coffee must be heaven! Looking forward to more posts. God bless!

Mary Ann Potter said...

I enjoyed seeing your photos. The deer family is precious. We have a herd of deer who visit us daily; we leave out corn for them, and it's so sweet when they bring the kids (3 fawns that we know of this year)! There's simply nothing like life in the country!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

What a beautiful place you live. I enjoyed looking at all the photos. Thanks for sharing. New Follower.
Hugs,
Jody

Linda Starr said...

wow, you get a lot of visitors to your property, amazing shots; nice to have two legged visitors of course.

Connie said...

Hello Cynthia, I just found your blog and I am so excited. We are experiencing a similar life change. My husband and I purchased a one acre fixer-upper in the country this spring. Before, that we lived 33 years in the suburbs with houses 8 feet apart. We are loving it. Room to garden and room to breath:) We don't have a woods, but we do have a hay field across the road, which is so much nicer than looking out the window to see the neighbor's house and cars, LOL
I am your newest follower and I would love to invite you to visit and maybe even follow me back.
Have a lovely week.
Connie :)

CYNTHIA CRANE said...

I am so delighted by all of your lovely comments, thank you all so much! I love hearing your personal experiences and thoughts about Visitors!

Donna Heber said...

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for sharing your wildlife with us. I just love looking out my window and seeing a visitor or two. Glad to hear you are adjusting to your new home.

Deborah Montgomery said...

First visit here; I love your cute chipmunk in your header! Love the picture of the fawn and the big bunny. We live in the suburbs but back up to a woods, and sometimes see deer, bunnies and one time a fox. Love to see them. I've driven through West Virginia several times; such beautiful country there.

Nancy said...

You seem to be adapting well to your new nature preserve!! Love it! And that whistle pig? Well, he just made me laugh today - thanks for sharing. =) FYI, our son lives in NYC as well, but at this point he only dreams of going to grad school for art. I hope your son enjoys every minute of that opportunity! Nancy